Full of flavor, nutritious and delicious, this ground chicken and vegetable stir fry is quick to make, and perfect for a weeknight dinner, a gathering with friends, or meal-prep for the week ahead! Tender ground chicken, mixed with sautéed mushrooms, zucchini, carrots and edamame, all tossed in a delicious soy-based sauce. A must-try!
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- It's absolutely delicious! The stir fry sauce is irresistible, it's savory, a little sweet, and can be made spicier if you enjoy a kick of heat. The tasty veggies complement the ground chicken beautifully, and you get a variety of different textures.
- This stir fry is easy to make, and ready to eat in just 30 minutes. Besides having to do a little chopping, everything comes together in one single skillet.
- It's a great dish to prepare for meal-prep to have easy lunches on hand ready to go. Serve it over rice for a perfectly balanced meal filled with protein, veggies. You can also serve this chicken stir fry to feed a big crowd for a dinner party, and I guarantee you everyone will enjoy it so much, they'll want seconds.
How To Make Ground Chicken Stir Fry
- Start by chopping all the vegetables. You'll want the mushrooms and zucchini cut fairly big for this recipe.
- After washing them, the mushrooms should be cut in half, and then again in half or 3 pieces depending on how big they are.
- I like to half-peel the zucchini, then cut it in half lengthwise, then again in half before chopping them into about ½-inch long bites.
- For the carrots, we cut them into 1 ½ -inch matchsticks, because if they're too big, they won't cook thru and might be too crunchy. To do so, peel the carrot, then cut 1 ½-inch chunks, then cut the chunks lengthwise into about 3 parts (or 2 or 4 depending on the thickness of the carrot), then cut matchsticks.
- The green onions stalks should be sliced fairly thin, separate the white bottom part and the green top part. Adding the green part at the end of the cooking time only will add a nice freshness to the dish.
- You can buy edamame already shelled for convenience, but if you only have some in shells on hand, just shell them before adding to the skillet. Don't add them until the end, since they're already cooked.
- Cook the chicken in the warm skillet with a little oil. It'll cook quickly on medium-high heat, less than 5 minutes. You'll know it's ready when it's no longer pink. Put the cooked chicken aside and discard of the extra liquid the chicken releases, before cooking the veggies.
- Add a little more oil to skillet before adding the veggies, you can start on medium-high heat, but you might need to turn the heat down a bit if the mushrooms and zucchini turn brown too fast. They'll take about 7 minutes to soften, you want them to still have a little bite and not become mushy.
- Add all the sauce ingredients to a bowl, and whisk until fully incorporated. All of the components are very easy to find at your local grocery store, nothing is a specialty item you'll never use agin. Keeping it deliciously simple.
- Once the veggies are cooked, add the chicken back to the skillet, turn the heat back to medium high, then add the sauce and cook everything for a few minutes until the sauce has thickened.
More Chicken Recipes To Try
- Creamy Dijon Chicken With Mushrooms and Leeks
- Air Fryer Chicken Tacos
- Grilled Teriyaki Chicken Pineapple Kabobs
- Chicken Pizza with Black Beans & Smashed Avocado
Tips And Frequently Asked Questions
- Any leftovers can be stored in an airtight container refrigerated for up to 3 days. Reheat in the microwave.
- You can make this dish completely vegetarian by omitting the ground chicken and adding more veggies instead. It'll be really delicious with the stir fry sauce.
- You can replace the ground chicken with ground turkey if you prefer. They're similar and will both work great.
- If you like a spicier stir fry, go ahead and add more sriracha. I tested the recipe with 1 full tablespoon and it was plenty spicy for me (too spicy haha, but perfect for anyone who likes heat).
Ground Chicken and Vegetable Stir Fry
Full of flavor, nutritious and delicious, this ground chicken and vegetable stir fry is quick to make. Tender ground chicken, mixed with sautéed mushrooms, zucchini, carrots and edamame, all tossed in a delicious soy-based sauce.
- large skillet with high sides with high sides
- wooden spoon
- large bowl
- small bowl
- 1 ½ tablespoon avocado oil or any neutral oil
- 1 pound ground chicken
- salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 medium zucchini chopped, about 1 cup
- 8 ounces mushrooms chopped, about 2 cups
- 1 large carrot cut into matchsticks, about 1 cup
- ½ cup edamame shelled
- 2-3 stalks green onions sliced, divided in white and green parts
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds more or less to taste
For the Stir Fry Sauce
- ¼ cup soy sauce reduced-sodium
- ¼ cup water
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- ½ tablespoon brown sugar packed
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon sriracha or more for spicier
- ½ tablespoon corn starch
- Heat 1 tablespoon of neutral oil in large skillet over medium high heat. Once oil is hot, swirl skillet around to evenly coat with oil, then add ground chicken, along with onion powder, pinch of salt and black pepper. Break up chicken with wooden spoon, and cook until brown, stirring often, about 3 to 4 minutes. Once chicken is cooked, scoop it into bowl out of skillet, discarding of any liquid left behind.
- Add the remaining ½ tablespoon of neutral oil to skillet. Then add chopped mushrooms, carrots, zucchini, and white parts of sliced green onions. Add pinch of salt and black pepper, and cook until veggies have softened, about 6 to 7 minutes, stirring often. Reduce heat to medium if needed.
- While vegetables are cooking, put stir fry sauce together. In small bowl, whisk together soy sauce, water, rice vinegar, sesame oil, brown sugar, minced garlic, lime juice, ginger sriracha and corn starch until fully incorporated, set aside.
- Once veggies are cooked, add edamame and stir in.
- Then add previously cooked chicken into skillet and stir in with veggies.
- With heat on medium high, pour stir fry sauce over veggies and chicken. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, or until sauce has thickened. Then add sesame seeds and green part of green onions, and stir in. Serve warm over rice or side or choice.
- To make this recipe gluten free, use gluten free soy sauce or replace it with lite tamari or coconut aminos.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 328kcal | Carbohydrates: 13g | Protein: 26g | Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 3g | Monounsaturated Fat: 8g | Trans Fat: 0.1g | Cholesterol: 98mg | Sodium: 725mg | Potassium: 986mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 2711IU | Vitamin C: 16mg | Calcium: 72mg | Iron: 3mg
Have you made this recipe?Leave a review below or tag @Sprinkledwithbalance on Instagram!Share on Facebook Share by Email
Leave a comment