This healthier chicken pizza is seriously SO delicious, so easy to make and about to become one of your favorites! Marinated chicken paired with black beans on a thin crust pizza and served with smashed avocado and crunchy shredded lettuce. This recipe is a must try!
Why This Recipe Works
- This chicken pizza combo is seriously so SO good! Fresh and nutritious, it's a fun twist on a traditional pizza. No red sauce, it's simply brushed with a little olive oil and garlic and topped with chicken, mozzarella, black beans, red onion and jalapeño (if you love heat! Or you can skip it). Served with a simple smashed avocado and topped with crunchy shredded iceberg lettuce. I promise you, it works!
- It's a healthier pizza and a great nutritious dinner option for the whole family! Again you might just want to skip the jalapeños for the kiddos and keep them on the adults' side! You get protein, fiber, healthy fats and all the deliciousness of a great satisfying meal.
- Pizza dough. We use a pre-made dough which is such a great and easy option but I cut off a little piece of it before rolling to not only make it super thin crust for more crispiness but save a few calories too! You can use the extra to make a mini pizza for the kids! This is an optional step. If you prefer to use a gluten-free or cauliflower crust, it'll work too; just follow the packaging directions.
- Lime marinated chicken breast. This is a quick easy marinade that gives the chicken a punch of flavor! Marinate for at least 1 hour for best results and up to 12 hours. You can also marinate and grill extra chicken to have on hand for an easy and ready-to-go protein option for your week.
- Shredded Mozzarella. You can use regular fat or low-fat if you want, they'll both work great!
- Black beans. A very nutritious legume, black beans are both high in protein and fiber.
- Avocado. Simply smashed with a little lime juice and fresh cilantro, the avocado is an important part of this pizza as it really brings it together.
- Shredded iceberg lettuce. This is actually an optional ingredients as I understand salad on pizza isn't for everyone but I HIGHLY recommend you give it a try! The crunch, the freshness... It really completes this dish!
Tips & FAQs
- Make sure to generously dust your cutting board with flour before rolling your pizza dough. It will help tremendously with it not sticking. Take it out of the fridge and the plastic bag and let it rest at room temperature for about 10 minutes before rolling. Dust the baking pan with flour too, it'll come out a lot easier.
- I highly recommend cutting the chicken breast in half lengthwise, a technique also called butterflying. Not only the chicken will cook faster, it'll be tender and juicy.
- After rinsing the black beans, let them drain well to avoid any extra moisture on the pizza. I like to place them on a couple of paper towels to absorbs the excess water.
- When putting the pizza together, avoid putting too many toppings directly in the middle of the pizza. This is actually a tip I learned over the years of making homemade pizza; if the middle is too loaded, it'll get heavy and won't get as crispy and could sometimes become a little soggy. This is particularly true with veggie pizzas as they have more natural moisture.
- Jalapeños can be very spicy. If you like a little kick but don't love a lot of heat, I recommend chopping them thinly instead of slicing as well as removing most of the seeds. Or feel free to skip.
More Delicious Recipes To Try
- Prosciutto and Melon Caprese Salad
- Grilled Teriyaki Chicken Pineapple Kabobs
- Beet and Cucumber Salad with Goat Cheese
- Chicken Zucchini Boats
Chicken Pizza with Black Beans and Smashed Avocado
This healthier chicken pizza is seriously so delicious, so easy to make! Marinated chicken paired with black beans on a thin crust pizza and served with smashed avocado and shredded lettuce. This recipe is a must try!
- Rolling Pin
- pizza pan
- plastic sealable bag to marinate chicken
- grill or skillet to cook chicken
- strainer to rinse beans
- small bowl for smashed avocado
- food brush
For the chicken
- 1 chicken breast boneless, skinless, butterflied
- 1 lime juiced, about 1 tablespoon
- 1 ½ tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
For the pizza
- 1 pizza dough pre-made
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 ½ cup shredded mozzarella
- ½ cup black beans rinsed and drained
- ¼ red onion thinly sliced, more or less to taste
- ½ jalapeño thinly sliced or chopped, optional
- 1 avocado smashed
- 1 lime juiced
- a handful fresh cilantro chopped
- ½ iceberg lettuce shredded, optional but highly recommended
- flour for dusting
- 1 pinch salt for avocado
- In small bowl put marinade together: add oil, lime juice, garlic powder, salt and pepper and mix well. Add butterflied chicken breast to plastic sealable bag. Pour in marinade, seal bag letting as much air out as possible and massage marinade into chicken. Place in fridge and let marinate for 1 hour (or up to 12 hours).
- When ready to make pizza, generously dust cutting board with flour and place pizza dough on it. Let rest for 10 minutes before rolling.
- Preheat grill or skillet on medium high heat. Cook chicken for 3-4 minutes, flip and cook for another 3-4 minutes. Chicken should be slightly under-cooked. Put aside.
- Preheat oven at 450° Fahrenheit. Roll pizza dough on cutting board and transfer rolled dough to flour dusted pizza pan (before adding any toppings)
- Rinse black beans in strainer. Drain well and place on paper towel to absorb excess water. Chop the chicken.
- Add olive oil to dough with food brush. Sprinkle minced garlic all over. Add chopped chicken, black beans, cheese, onion, jalapeño to pizza. Add to oven and cook for 10 to 12 minutes or until fully cooked and golden brown.
- While pizza is cooking, smash the avocado with fork with squeeze of lime, pinch of salt and chopped cilantro to taste. Thinly cut or shred the iceberg lettuce.
- Carefully remove pizza and slide it off pizza pan onto cutting board. Sprinkle with fresh chopped cilantro. Slice and top with smashed avocado and shredded lettuce. Enjoy!
Make sure to generously dust your cutting board with flour before rolling your pizza dough. It will help tremendously with it not sticking. Take it out of the fridge and the plastic bag and let it rest at room temperature for about 10 minutes before rolling. Dust the baking pan with flour too, it'll come out a lot easier. After rinsing the black beans, let them drain well to avoid any extra moisture on the pizza. Place them on a couple of paper towels to absorbs the excess water. When putting the pizza together, avoid putting too many toppings directly in the middle of the pizza. if the middle is too loaded, it'll get heavy and won't get as crispy and could sometimes become a little soggy.
*The nutritional values shown in this recipe are approximate for one suggested serving size using the ingredients listed but not including any optional items and may vary per actual preferred portion sizes.
Serving: 1slice | Calories: 317kcal | Carbohydrates: 32g | Protein: 16g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 6g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 35mg | Sodium: 536mg | Potassium: 357mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 375IU | Vitamin C: 10mg | Calcium: 128mg | Iron: 2mg
Have you made this recipe?Leave a review below or tag @Sprinkledwithbalance on Instagram!Share on Facebook Share by Email
This pizza is to die for!! Super easy to make and sooooo delicious. I love jalapeños so I they are a must for me and the smashed avocado and iceberg lettuce tops it off perfectly! Thank you! 🙂
So glad you loved it! I adore this recipe too!