Fresh and so delicious, this hearts of palm salad is very easy to make! Zesty cherry tomatoes, creamy avocado, crunchy cucumber and cabbage mixed with hearts of palm and topped with green onion and a tasty shallot vinaigrette.
Why This Recipe Works
- Hearts of palm are so delicious and make this super simple salad stand out! It's a great vegetarian dish and can be used as a side of any protein of your choice or as an appetizer. Hearts of palm have a distinct mild flavor, they bring me back to my childhood in France where I remember eating them just by themselves with a vinaigrette. So so good!
- This salad is full of nutrients! It's the kind of side salad with a lot of volume without a ton of calories. Cherry tomatoes, cucumber, red cabbage (or do you call it purple?), green onions and avocado for healthy fat are mixed in with the hearts of palm. The vinaigrette is white wine vinegar based which brings a ton of flavor with only a small amount of it.
- Hearts of palm used for this salad are found canned or jarred. They require no preparation except slicing. One tip I have is to put them on a paper towel right out of the can for a minute or two to release the excess water.
- For the cucumber, I simply half peel it, cut it in half lengthwise and then slices. If you use English or mini Persian cucumbers for this recipe, it's not necessary to remove the seeds on the inside. But if you use a regular cucumber, I recommend to scoop out the middle with a spoon as they can be a little watery.
- When choosing avocados for this recipe, for best results you'll want them to be ripe but still a little firm. This will make it easier to slice as they won't be too mushy.
- Use baby tomatoes of your choice, I love grape or cherry tomatoes or baby heirlooms too. Up to your preference!
- The red or purple cabbage is sliced thin but again you can slice it as you prefer. Green cabbage would work too if you like it more.
- Making homemade salad dressing is one of my favorite things! Tastes so much better and has less ingredients than any store-bought version. This shallot vinaigrette is super easy and full of flavor. Oil, white wine vinegar (or champagne vinegar if you prefer), Dijon, fresh shallot are the main components.
Tips & FAQs
- If you wanted to use this recipe for meal-prep, hold off on adding the avocado until the last minute. Unfortunately avocados get brown quickly, so to avoid an unappetizing sight, I'd slice it right before eating! You can also put a little lemon juice on it which will help keeping is green a tad longer.
- Same with the vinaigrette, I find it best to add it and mix it in the salad shortly before serving. But you can prep all the veggies in advance (except for the avocado)
More Recipes To Try
- Chicken Pizza With Black Beans & Smashed Avocado
- Crustless Quiche With Asparagus, Ham & Goat Cheese
- Cheesy Zucchini Casserole
- Egg Roll In A Bowl With Pineapple
Hearts Of Palm Salad With Shallot Vinaigrette
Fresh and so delicious, this hearts of palm salad is very easy to make and ready in less than 15 minutes! Zesty cherry tomatoes, creamy avocado, crunchy cucumber and cabbage mixed with hearts of palm and topped with green onion and a tasty shallot vinaigrette.
- small bowl
- small whisk or fork
- 1 14-ounces can hearts of palm or jar
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes or grape tomatoes
- ½ cucumber about 1 cup sliced
- 1 large avocado or 2 small ones
- 2-3 green onion sprigs
- 1 cup red cabbage about ¼ of a cabbage
- ½ teaspoon salt more or less to taste
- ¼ teaspoon pepper more or less to taste
For the Shallot Vinaigrette
- 3 tablespoons avocado oil or any mild tasting oil
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 small shallot finely chopped, about 1 ½ to 2 tablespoons
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- pinch salt
- In small bowl whisk together all vinaigrette ingredients: add oil, vinegar, dijon mustard, garlic powder, salt and finely chopped shallot. Set aside.
- Chop all veggies. Cut tomatoes in half. Slice hearts of palm in little circles. Half peel cucumber, slice in half lengthwise then slice in half circles. Thinly slice cabbage. Cut avocado in bite size chunks. Finely chop green onions.
- Add all ingredients to large bowl, add vinaigrette and mix all until well combined. Serve and enjoy!
- If you prepare the salad in advance, place everything in the fridge and wait to add vinaigrette until right before serving.
- For best results and easy slicing, avocado should be ripe but still a little firm. Overripe avocado will not work great for this recipe.
- You can replace the white wine vinegar with champagne or red wine vinegar. If you want to use apple cider vinegar, add 1 extra tablespoon as it's not as pungent as the wine vinegars.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 201kcal | Carbohydrates: 10g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 18g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 12g | Sodium: 321mg | Potassium: 481mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 593IU | Vitamin C: 29mg | Calcium: 34mg | Iron: 1mg
Have you made this recipe?Leave a review below or tag @Sprinkledwithbalance on Instagram!Share on Facebook Share by Email
Kathryn Sticker says
I have never tried hearts of palm before but I love trying new things. And I’m always looking for good vegetarian recipes. Thank you
Thank you so much! Hope you love it!
This sounds delicious! Thanks for sharing it.
Thank you so much!
this looks delicious!
Thank you so much!
I love this salad, super fresh and easy.
Thank you Lindsay, so happy you love it!
I tried this salad last night for the first time and AGAIN I have another staple from Priscilla. It was so easy to make, fresh, and oh so delicious. The shallot vinaigrette dressing is one of those dressings that you can't get out of your head. Love!
So glad you loved it! Thanks a bunch!