This beautiful prosciutto and melon caprese salad is the ultimate summer salad! So fresh, so delicious, it's the perfect addition to any gathering! Sweet and savory and paired with a mouthwatering shallot vinaigrette, this recipe is an absolute must-try!
Why This Recipe Works
- This salad is so delicious and easy to put together. Melon season is short but isn't it the best?! Prosciutto and melon is an incredible match, it brings me right back to my childhood in France where we always ate it during the summer months! Pair it with another all time favorite, caprese salad, and you have a winning dish! Oh and let's talk about that full of flavor, tangy shallot vinaigrette; it really makes this recipe come all together!
- Doesn't this prosciutto and melon caprese salad look fancy? You'll impress anyone you make it for I guarantee it! Easy, delicious, beautiful and a little out of the box? Yes please!
- When it comes to the melon, my go-to is Tuscan melon. It's my absolute favorite, it's very similar to cantaloupe but I found that it's a bit sweeter and you almost get a good one every time! My trick to pick it is to simply smell it. If it's fragrant, it's most likely good! Avoid if it's mushy or has blemishes. The stripes should be dark green; if they're light the melon is underripe. I used a melon baller for this recipe but you can absolutely simply chop it into bite size pieces!
- Prosciutto Di Parma, which is a salty Italian cured ham. I try to choose Italian imports when possible only because I find them to be the most delicious but any prosciutto of your choice will absolutely work!
- Cherry tomatoes and mozzarella balls! You can get big ones and chop them if you prefer! Ohhh and you could replace the mozzarella with burrata too for a fun different version.
- Fresh basil is a must! It's a key ingredient to a caprese salad and it works so well here as well!
- Arugula. It brings the perfect amount of peppery flavor to balance the sweetness of the salad. Did you know that arugula is not actually a lettuce but a cruciferous vegetable? Yes it's broccoli's cousin and also a superfood!
- The shallot vinaigrette! Very easy to put together, it's an important component of this prosciutto and melon caprese salad as it brings the needed acidity and really completes this dish.
Tips And FAQs
- I highly recommend to hold off until the last minute to add the dressing to the salad. You can absolutely get the salad ready in advance but to avoid sogginess, keep the vinaigrette on the side until ready to serve.
- If you're vegetarian, but eat dairy, just skip the prosciutto. I promise the recipe is still worth it and 100% delicious without the meat!
- Feel free to use different kinds of melons if you'd like! Honeydew, canary melon or even watermelon for example would work great!
Other Summer Recipes To Try
- Beet and Cucumber Salad with Goat Cheese
- Grilled Teriyaki Chicken and Pineapple Kabobs
- Mango Salsa
- Air Fryer Salmon with Mango Salsa
Prosciutto and Melon Caprese Salad
This prosciutto and melon caprese salad is the ultimate summer salad! So fresh, so delicious, it's the perfect addition to any gathering! Sweet and savory and paired with a mouthwatering shallot vinaigrette, this recipe is a must-try!
- melon baller optional
For the Vinaigrette
- 3 tablespoons avocado oil or any neutral testing oil
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar or champagne vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 small shallot finely chopped, about 1 to 1 ½ tablespoon
- 1 garlic clove minced
- pinch salt
- pinch pepper
- 2 cups arugula
- 1 cup melon balls or chopped into bite size, about ½ a melon
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes cut in half
- 6 ounces mozzarella balls
- 6-7 slices prosciutto
- 4-5 large fresh basil leaves finely chopped
- ¼ teaspoon salt more or less to taste
- ¼ teaspoon pepper more or less to taste
- Add oil, vinegar, Dijon, shallots, garlic, salt and pepper to small bowl, whisk vinaigrette together and put aside.
- Make balls out of melon with baller or chop into bite-size pieces. Cut tomatoes in half and chop basil. Pull apart prosciutto slices to smaller pieces.
- Put salad together. Lay arugula 1st, then add melon, tomatoes, mozzarella and prosciutto. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and basil. Add vinaigrette when ready to serve. Enjoy!
The nutritional values shown in this recipe are approximate for one suggested serving size using the ingredients listed but not including any optional items and may vary per actual preferred portion sizes.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 278kcal | Carbohydrates: 6g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 21g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 10g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 23mg | Sodium: 285mg | Potassium: 234mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 2356IU | Vitamin C: 15mg | Calcium: 187mg | Iron: 1mg
Have you made this recipe?Leave a review below or tag @Sprinkledwithbalance on Instagram!Share on Facebook Share by Email
I love this recipe so much. The complimentary flavor balance is incredible.
And the Shallot Vinaigrette is flawless. This is one of those recipes you will be asked to bring to the party again and again. Perfect for a light lunch with Priscilla's Sangria. So colorful and delicious.
One of my favorite summer salads! Thank you!