These air fryer shrimp tacos are so incredibly delicious and easy to put together. Perfectly seasoned shrimp cooked in the air fryer, assembled in a taco filled with fresh veggies and topped with a tangy yogurt salsa verde sauce. Great for a quick weeknight dinner but also impressive for entertaining!
Why This Recipe Works
- These air fryer shrimp tacos are insanely delicious! I'm not kidding, the shrimp are seasoned to perfection, and the combination of tomato, red cabbage, avocado, fresh cilantro and lime complement them beautifully. And the easy mixture of Greek yogurt and salsa verde is the perfect finish to these tacos.
- They're so easy to make! The shrimp cook in less than 8 minutes, so beside a little veggie chopping, the tacos require minimal cooking effort as the air fryer does most of the work.
- These tacos are a nutritious and balanced meal. Shrimp are naturally high in protein, then you'll get all your fresh veggies and herbs, extra protein with the Greek yogurt sauce, healthy fat with avocado and starchy carbohydrates with your tortillas of choice.
How To Make Air Fryer Shrimp Tacos
- First ensure the shrimp are peeled, deveined and clean. Pat them dry with a paper towel and place them in a bowl.
- Prepare all your veggie toppings, slice some red cabbage, chop the tomatoes, avocado and jalapeño if you want some spice.
- Mix together the dry spices. Then add them to the shrimp long with the avocado or olive oil and honey. Stir everything together well until all the shrimp are well coated with seasoning.
- Let the shrimp marinate for about 10 minutes, then preheat the air fryer to 400° Fahrenheit.
- Then, you'll place the seasoned shrimp in the air fryer on a single layer and let them cook for 6 to 8 minutes depending on their size, shaking the basket halfway thru. The shrimp are cooked once they're pink with no more gray visible, and they've curved into a C shape.
- While the air fryer shrimp are cooking, stir together the Greek yogurt with jarred salsa verde or your choice as well as a little lime juice.
- Warm up your tortillas as you wish, wether you prefer to do it on the stove on an open flame, in a skillet or microwave.
- Finally remove the cooked shrimp from the air fryer, and assemble your tacos, adding all you toppings, shrimp and finish them with a squeeze of lime and special sauce.
Season the shrimp with spices, oil and honey, and let marinate for 10 minutes.
Place shrimp onto 1 single layer into preheated air fryer and cook for 6 to 8 minutes depending on their size.
Stir together Greek yogurt, salsa verde and lime juice.
Warm up your tortillas before assembling your tacos.
- Shrimp: I used large shrimp which I think are the best size for these tacos, but medium or extra-large are good too. Keep in mind the smaller they are, the fastest they'll cook. Make sure they're fully peeled and deveined, which means the black membranes running in the back and the front of the shrimp are removed. A lot of shrimp come already cleaned unless you buy them whole which you'll need to clean up yourself. Using a small pairing knife, you'll make a small cut where the membrane is to pull it out.
- Spices: I use a blend of spices you most likely already have on hand, chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika, salt and pepper. If you're pressed in time, you can use a couple of teaspoons of pre-made taco seasoning which would work well as a shortcut.
- Salsa Verde: Use your favorite jarred or pre-packaged salsa verde for this recipe. There's many out there to choose from.
- Greek Yogurt: I like to use plain non-fat yogurt or low-fat to save on calories but if you prefer full-fat or dairy free it would absolutely work too. Greek yogurt is high in protein and probiotics, therefore a great nutritious option. If you don't like Greek yogurt, you can totally replace it with sour cream.
- Tortillas: Wether you prefer corn, flour, gluten-free or grain-free taco size tortillas, it's really up to you and your preference.
More Air Fryer Recipes You'll Love
- Air Fryer Salmon Bites with Mango Salsa
- Air Fryer Steak Fries
- Air Fryer Diced Potatoes
- Air Fryer Chicken Tacos
- Air Fryer Delicata Squash
Tips And Frequently Asked Questions
- How to thaw frozen shrimp? You can place the shrimp to be defrosted in a covered bowl overnight. Or, for a quicker method, place the frozen shrimp in a sealed zip-top bag, then submerge it into cold water, and let it sit for about 15 to 20 minutes or until fully thawed. It's important to use cold water only and never warm or hot water. Defrosting seafood or meat into warm water isn't safe, and can cause bacteria growth.
- Don't overcrowd the air fryer. The honey will help giving the shrimp nice crispy edges. If your basket is too full, you most likely won't get those. Cook the air fryer shrimp in batches if you have to.
- Leftovers cooked shrimp can be stored in an airtight container refrigerated for up to 3 days. You can reheat them by adding them to the air fryer for a few minutes.
Air Fryer Shrimp Tacos
- tortillas taco size. Flour, corn or any of choice.
- 1 cup red cabbage thinly sliced or chopped
- 1 Roma tomato finely chopped
- 1 large avocado sliced
- chopped cilantro
- lime wedges
- sliced jalapeño optional
For the Salsa Verde Yogurt Sauce
- ⅓ cup plain Greek yogurt non-fat, low-fat, full-fat or plant based.
- ⅓ cup salsa verde jarred
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice about 1 lime
- Pat clean shrimp dry with paper towels, then place them in a medium bowl.
- Stir together dry spices: garlic powder, chili powder, onion powder, smoked paprika, salt and pepper.
- Add oil, honey and spices to shrimp and stir well until all shrimp are coated and let marinate aside for 10 minutes.
- Preheat air fryer at 400° Fahrenheit.
- Once air fryer is preheated, add shrimp onto one single layer and cook for 6 to 8 minutes, shaking basket halfway, or until shrimp are cooked thru.
- While shrimp are cooking, mix together Greek yogurt, salsa verde and lime until combined.
- Heat up tortillas with method of choice: over stove open flame, in skillet for 1 to 2 minutes, or microwave for 20-30 seconds.
- Once shrimp are cooked, assemble tacos with toppings of choice, squeeze lime wedge over shrimp and serve immediately.
- Shrimp: you can use a different size of shrimp you prefer, just keep in mind that the smaller they are, the quicker they'll cook. Small/medium shrimp might be ready in 5 minutes while extra-large or jumbo will need 8 minutes. I don't recommend using very small shrimp though as they could overcook very quickly. Large is my preferred choice.