Delicious, hearty and packed with flavor, these breakfast burrito bowls are customizable and perfect for a savory breakfast or brunch. Roasted seasoned potatoes, black beans, avocado, a little bacon and cheese topped with eggs and salsa. So good!
Why You'll love this recipe
- It's delicious! The combination of potatoes, beans, eggs, avocado, bacon and cheese tastes just like a breakfast burrito only without the tortilla. Top it with my favorite salsa ever, or spicy jalapeño salsa for extra goodness.
- These burrito bowls are hearty, filling and totally customizable to your taste.
- It's a balance meal offering all the macronutrients to give you a satisfying meal, and extra fiber with the black beans. It's also easy to meal-prep most of the components.
- Those bowls are beautiful! Fun to layer with each ingredients, colors and texture, it's a fun breakfast to cook for brunch or a breakfast with family and friends.
- Potatoes: they're the base of the bowls. Seasoned with chili powder, garlic and onion powder. Potatoes are also very satiating.
- Eggs: cook them as you wish!
- Black beans: they're delicious, satiating and a good fiber source.
- Bacon or turkey bacon.
- Avocado: just really brings the bowls together.
- Salsa or chopped tomatoes: another add-on that really brings a ton of flavor.
How to make breakfast burrito bowls
- The beauty of this breakfast recipe is that you can really customize it using it as an inspiration. Potatoes can be cooked as you wish, eggs as well. Make it your own!
Season the potatoes with the spices.
Cook the potatoes with method of choice, air fryer or oven roasted.
Cook the bacon or turkey bacon per package instructions.
Heat up the beans.
Once potatoes are almost ready, cook your eggs. If scrambled add a little cheese.
Or if you prefer them sunny-side up, over easy, medium or well. Then assemble the bowls and enjoy.
More Breakfast and brunch recipes
- The Best Chocolate Chip Protein Pancakes
- Crustless Quiche With Asparagus, Ham and Goat Cheese
- Chocolate Chip Baked Oats Without Banana
- Cottage Cheese Toast 4 Ways
- Before you get started, I recommend having all your ingredients ready, it'll make it so much easier, and because there's a lot of components, it'll help you not forget anything.
- Use fresh herbs like cilantro and fun toppings like salsa, chopped tomatoes, red onion, a little cheese, a dollop of greek yogurt or sour cream.
- Don't use too much chili powder on your potatoes if you don't like heat. Chili powder can be pretty spicy.
- Be mindful of the portion of each component as these bowls are pretty large and will fill you up. Calories also add up if it's something you pay attention too.
Frequently Asked Questions
Absolutely! Frozen diced potatoes O'Brien, hashbrowns, tater tots would all work for this recipe. Cook them per package instructions.
You can skip them all together, replace them with seasoned ground turkey or chicken, or a plant-based alternative.
Yes! But keep each component separate until assembling. Also hold off on cutting the avocado until right before serving to avoid it from turning brown.
Breakfast Burrito Bowls
For the Potatoes
For the Eggs
For the Bowls
- 2-4 slices turkey bacon or bacon cooked
- ½ avocado sliced
- 1 cup black beans drained and rinsed
Cook the Potatoes
- Scrub and wash the potatoes. Peel if you wish, then dice them fairly small. Then season the potatoes with oil, chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper and mix until well coated.
- Method 1: Air FryerPreheat air fryer to 400° Fahrenheit. Once warm, spray with cooking oil, add the seasoned potatoes and cook until tender about 12-15 minutes, shaking the basket a few times during cooking time.
- Method 2: OvenPreheat oven to 400° Fahrenheit. Spray baking sheet with cooking oil, add the seasoned potatoes and cook until tender about 15-20 minutes, flipping them halfway.
Make the Eggs
- Don't start the eggs until the potatoes are almost ready. Cook the eggs as you prefer: scrambled, sunny side up, over easy, poached...
- Method 1: scrambledIf you prefer a scramble or omelette, heat up a little oil or butter in a skillet, turn heat to medium low, add beaten eggs, cheese if you wish and cook stirring until no longer runny. Finish with salt and pepper.
- Method 2: sunny side up or over-easy, medium or wellHeat up a little oil or butter in a skillet, turn heat to medium low, add the cracked eggs and cook until the white is longer runny. For faster cooking, cover with lid for a minute or two. Gently flip the eggs for over-easy, medium or over-well and cook per preference.
Heat the Black Beans
- Heat up the black bean with method of choice, stove up on medium-low or microwave.
Assemble the Bowls
- Add the potatoes, beans, bacon, avocado, and anything you wish like a little cheese, salsa, chopped tomatoes, cilantro. Place the eggs on top and dig in. Enjoy!
- Chili powders can be pretty spicy, so always start with a little less than too much and adjust per heat level preference.
- Make sure the heat is on medium low when cooking eggs, they can burn and overcook very quickly.