This Brussels sprouts with pancetta and parmesan recipe is incredibly delicious! Crispy pancetta mixed with tender Brussels sprouts, garlic and finished with freshly grated parmesan. Using only a handful of ingredients, it's super easy to make, and is sure to be loved by everyone you serve it to!
Why This Recipe Works
- This recipe is jam-packed with flavor! Brussels sprouts are already super flavorful, and pairing them with pancetta just takes them to next level! Pancetta is a cured meat very similar to bacon, except it isn't smoked. We get it nice and crispy for this recipe which adds amazing texture. And savory parmesan brings in that perfect saltiness. Absolutely delicious!
- It's super easy to make and ready to eat in less than 30 minutes! You'll cook the pancetta first until nice and crispy, then the Brussels sprouts, garlic, a little lemon juice and finish the dish with fresh parmesan. All in one skillet!
- These Brussels sprouts are perfect for any dinner or as a holiday side dish! You can pair this recipe with pretty much anything, from steak to chicken, or even by itself with rice or as the base of a hash.
How to Make Brussels Sprouts with Pancetta and Parmesan
- While we shave our own fresh Brussels sprouts by simply slicing them, if you're in a time pinch, you can absolutely buy them in a bag already pre-shaved. You can also use a food processor to slice them. Having them shaved will allow them to cook super fast, without having to blanch them first. They'll still have a little perfect bite to them.
- You'll start the recipe by cooking the pancetta, you don't need to add any extra fat source as it already has enough. Then, the Brussels sprouts get cooked in the leftover fat from the pancetta which will give them a ton of flavor! Add in fresh minced garlic and parmesan and voilà!
- Everything is cooked in one single skillet, easy cleanup!
Shave Brussels sprouts by slicing then thinly.
Cook pancetta until crispy.
Remove pancetta, and place aside.
Add Brussel sprouts, cook a few minutes, then add garlic and pancetta back. Sprinkle with fresh Parmesan.
More Delicious Recipes To Try
- Shrimp Pineapple Fried Rice
- Chicken Zucchini Boats
- Beet And Cucumber Salad With Goat Cheese
- Tuna And Bean Salad With Corn and Avocado
- Chicken Pizza with Black Beans & Smashed Avocado
Tips And Frequently Asked Questions
- You can absolutely replace the pancetta with bacon if it's what you have on hand! Follow the same directions, chop the bacon fairly small, but keep in mind that the bacon might take a smidge longer to crisp up than the pancetta.
- This dish can also be made vegetarian! Replace the pancetta with plant-base bacon or sausage. It works great and tastes delicious.
- When it comes to the parmesan, if you can, I highly recommend using fresh real Italian Parmigiano Reggiano. You can buy a block, and shred or grate it yourself when needed. It'll keep fresh in the fridge for months! Fresh parmesan just tastes incredible.
- Don't skip the squeeze of lemon! Adding a little acidity will balance this dish perfectly.
- You don't need to add much salt. Since pancetta is cured, it's already salty, so just a little pinch should be enough. Parmesan is savory, and has that salty finish too. Taste the finished dish, and adjust to your preference.
Brussels Sprouts with Pancetta and Parmesan
- Shave Brussels sprouts by cutting them into thin slices. Once cut, go thru them roughly with fingers to separate the pieces.
- Add pancetta to non stick skillet, and cook on medium-high heat for about 5 minutes, until cooked thru and crispy.
- Remove pancetta from skillet with slotted spoon, leaving fat from pancetta in skillet. Place in bowl and set aside.
- Add shaved Brussels sprouts, salt and black pepper to warm skillet, reduce heat to medium-low and cook for about 5 minutes stirring often. Keep close eye on them as they can burn quickly if heat is too high.
- Add minced garlic and cooked pancetta to Brussels spouts and continue cooking for another 5 minutes.
- Add lemon juice and fresh grated parmesan. Stir one more time, then remove from heat. Serve right away.
- Buy pre-shaved Brussels sprouts to save up time.
- You don't need to add too much salt, as pancetta and parmesan are both salty. Taste finished dish and adjust if needed.