This egg roll in a bowl recipe has an unexpected twist: delicious fresh pineapple! With a medley of crunchy cabbage, carrots and scallions, this savory and sweet egg roll in a bowl with pineapple is made with ground chicken, and topped with a slightly spicy sriracha sauce. A must-try recipe!
You'll Love This Recipe!
- This recipe is such a fun fusion of flavors! The classic egg roll in a bowl mixed with sweet pineapple, and finished with a little heat from the sriracha sauce go together amazingly! Savory, sweet and spicy. If you love sweet and savory as much as I do, check out my shrimp pineapple fried rice, this salmon bites with mango salsa and these teriyaki chicken with pineapple kabobs too.
- It's so easy to put together! Everything is cooked in a single skillet and ready to eat in less than 30 minutes making it a great choice for a busy weeknight dinner.
- Egg roll in a bowl is a nutritious and balanced meal. Filled with fresh vegetables and lean ground chicken, this dish is full of vitamins and very satisfying. If you wanted to add some starchy carbohydrate, you can serve it over a little bit of rice. And it makes great leftovers!
- Cabbage: both green and red (or purple) cabbage are a must in this recipe. Cruciferous veggies are very nutritious and packed with minerals, vitamins and fiber in addition to being delicious.
- Carrots: they add such great texture.
- Green onions: also known as scallions.
- Ground chicken: it's lean, delicious, affordable and cooks quickly.
- Pineapple: the star of this dish! It brings such an amazing sweet flavor to the egg roll in a bowl.
- Garlic: what can I say, garlic makes everything better!
- Toasted sesame oil: you only need a small amount, but it brings so much flavor.
- Sriracha: it's mixed with a little mayonnaise and soy sauce, and just really brings the dish together by adding some spice.
How To Make Egg Roll In A Bowl With Pineapple
- The very first step is to chop all your veggies, or you can buy 2 average size bags of coleslaw mix too if you're short in time. They're usually just shredded cabbage and carrots.
- Then you'll cook the ground chicken with a little olive oil.
- Add some garlic and fresh ginger, then add the sesame oil and all the veggies to the skillet.
- Pour the soy sauce in the dish, add the lid to the skillet and cook for about 7 minutes.
- While everything is cooking, put the sauce together
- Finally, add the pineapple, freshly sliced scallions and sesame seeds before serving with a drizzle of sriracha sauce.
Cook the ground chicken, about 5 minutes.
Add the garlic and ginger, cook for about 1 minute.
Add the sesame oil and all the chopped veggies, then stir them in with the chicken.
Pour the soy sauce, stir and cover skillet with lid. Cook for about 7 minutes.
Put together the sriracha mayonnaise.
Add the fresh pineapple. Serve with sesame seeds, scallions and the sauce.
Try These Other Easy Recipes
- Air Fryer Shrimp Tacos
- Chicken Pizza With Black Beans
- Ground Chicken and Vegetable Stir Fry
- Creamy Dijon Chicken with Mushrooms and Leeks
Tips And Frequently Asked Questions
- You can replace the ground chicken with ground turkey, ground pork or even ground beef if you'd like.
- Can I make this dish vegetarian? Yes absolutely! You can use tofu, tempeh, seitan, or any meat substitute you like for a vegetarian version.
- If you don't have fresh pineapple, you can totally use canned pineapple but make sure it's not in syrup, only in water or juice. Drain before using.
- How spicy is the sriracha mayonnaise? It has a little heat but it's not super spicy at all. If you'd like more heat, add more sriracha to taste, and vise-versa.
- Store any leftovers refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Reheat in the microwave or a skillet until warm.
Egg Roll in a Bowl with Pineapple
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound ground chicken
- salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- 3-4 cloves garlic minced
- 1-2 teaspoons fresh ginger grated or minced, more or less to taste
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 2 cups shredded red cabbage
- 2 cups shredded green cabbage
- 2 large carrots julienne cut, about ½ cup
- 4-5 green onions sliced, about ¼ cup, plus more for garnish
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce or tamari or coconut aminos. more or less to taste.
- ¾ cup diced pineapple
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds optional
- Heat up olive oil into large skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, swirl skillet to evenly coat with oil. Add ground chicken, break it up with wooden spoon, season with salt and black pepper. Cook chicken stirring often until browned, about 5 minutes.
- Once chicken is cooked, add garlic and ginger, and stir in. Cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Then add sesame oil, red and green cabbage, carrots and green onions. Pour the soy sauce and stir everything. Reduce heat to medium, had lid to the skillet and cook for about 7-8 minutes, stirring a few times in between.
- While everything is cooking, whisk together mayonnaise, soy sauce and sriracha to make the sauce. Add more sriracha if you want it spicier.
- Once the veggies are tender, remove lid. Add fresh pineapple to skillet, stir it in and continue cooking for about 1-2 minutes.
- Remove from heat, portion out egg roll in a bowl, sprinkle with sesame seeds, green onions and a drizzle of the sriracha sauce. Enjoy!
- Low-Sodium Soy Sauce: can be replaced with coconut aminos or light tamari.
- Storage: leftovers can be stored refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
- Pineapple: fresh or canned diced pineapple will work for this recipe as long as the canned one isn't in syrup, only in juice or water.