Here is a super fun easy recipe! These baked tomatoes with mozzarella and parmesan are such a quick side dish yet so incredibly flavorful and delicious. The tomatoes are sliced, seasoned and quickly baked until the cheese is perfectly golden and gooey. So good!
Why you'll love this recipe
- It's so easy! It literally only takes minutes to put together and bakes for about 10 minutes. Perfect quick side dish.
- These cheesy tomatoes are so delicious. This recipe is very simple but so full of flavor. The tomatoes are seasoned with Italian herbs, and the salty parmesan combined with the gooey mozzarella is "chef's kiss". Finished with fragrant fresh basil. And if you're a tomato lover, check out my burrata caprese, caprese empanadas, and cheesy white bean tomato bake.
- This recipe will be loved by the whole family! This is an absolute crowd pleaser kids and adults will enjoy, and would be fun for a dinner party.
Key Ingredients and variations
- Tomatoes: I like to use big tomatoes that aren't too watery or too ripe. Beefsteak, Roma and heirloom tomatoes are great choices.
- Seasoning: I use Italian seasoning, salt and black pepper. Simple but very efficient.
- Parmesan: if you can, use fresh parmigiano reggiano, the quality is amazing and delicious. I like to buy a big block at Costco, keep it in my fridge and shred some when needed. It lasts for months!
- Shredded mozzarella: again I love buying a block and shredding it myself. It tastes and melts better because it doesn't have any starches added (that prevents it from clumping in a pre-shredded bag) and it's also usually more economical. But I understand sometimes we need quick shortcuts and pre-shredded cheese works perfectly fine!
- Extra-virgin olive oil: you don't need to drizzle a ton, but it'll add flavor and help the cheese get golden brown.
- Basil: it adds freshness and brightness to the mozzarella tomatoes.
How to make these baked tomatoes with mozzarella
- Preheat the oven to 400° Fahrenheit.
Slice the tomatoes into thick slices.
Lay the tomatoes in a single layer onto a large baking sheet. Season the tomatoes with salt, pepper and Italian seasoning.
Add a layer of parmesan to each tomato.
Then add the mozzarella.
Drizzle a little olive oil on top of each tomatoes.
Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted. Then broil for 1-2 minutes until golden brown. Serve with fresh basil.
More Easy side dishes to try
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Carrots with Hot Honey
- Cheesy Roasted Carrots and Cauliflower
- Air Fryer Garlic Parmesan Potatoes
- Creamy Mashed Potatoes with Whipped Cottage Cheese
- Easy Salad with Brie, Apple and Shallot Vinaigrette
- These baked mozzarella tomatoes are best served right away, but you can store leftovers in the fridge for up to 2 days, and reheat them in the microwave.
- Don't overcrowd the baking sheet, leave some space between each slice so the tomatoes don't steam.
- To avoid overcooking the tomatoes by baking them for too long, finish with broiling for 1-2 minutes to get the cheese golden brown.
- Swap the cheese if you want! Gruyère, Muenster, Gouda, or fresh mozzarella slices would be delicious.
- Same with the seasoning, you can use anything you love.
- Add some heat with a few red pepper flakes or your favorite hot sauce.
- You could also add a drizzle of balsamic glaze or vinegar.
- Use a good quality extra-virgin olive oil.
Frequently asked questions
Yes definitely. I prefer to use firmer tomatoes like beefsteak, heirloom or Roma as they aren't too watery. Slice them thick, about a ½-inch.
They're great with any protein from steak, pork to chicken, or on toast. For a fun twist, you could also add them to a burger, a sandwich or a salad.
No, the skin stays on and helps them keep their shape.
Baked Tomatoes with Mozzarella
- Preheat oven to 400° Fahrenheit.
- Slice the tomatoes into thick slices, about ½-inch.
- Lay the tomatoes in a single layer onto a large baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Season the tomatoes with salt, pepper and Italian seasoning.
- Then add a layer of fresh parmesan to each tomato.
- Next add the mozzarella.
- Finally drizzle a little extra-virgin olive oil on top of each tomato.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted. Then broil the tomatoes for 1-2 minutes until golden brown. Add fresh basil, serve, and enjoy!
- Try to use tomatoes that aren't too watery.
- Baking time will vary for a few minutes per the size of the tomato slices.