This delicious cheesy zucchini casserole is such a great tasty side dish! Easy to make, great for meal prep and kid-friendly. Cheesy and nutritious, the zucchini is grated and mixed with eggs, spices and cheese, giving an "au gratin" feels but without a ton of calories! A must-try!
Why This Recipe Works
- This recipe is not only delicious, it's kid-friendly and great for meal prep! You'll only need a few ingredients to make this cheesy zucchini casserole as we are not adding a ton of extra fluff. The zucchini and cheddar cheese are the stars and a perfect match for each other! It reheats beautifully and your kiddos will ask for more!
- Zucchini's season is at its prime during the summer months but they're available all year long. Have you ever tried to grow your own in a home garden? If so you know how many you get and sometimes it's hard to use them all up so here this recipe is for you!
How To Make Cheesy Zucchini Casserole
- Preheat the oven to 355° Fahrenheit.
- Cut the ends and grate the zucchini with a cheese grater.
- Add the grated zucchini to a cheese cloth or paper towels, add a pinch of salt, let sit for 5 minutes, then squeeze out as much liquid as possible.
- In a skillet, cook shallot with a little oil for a couple minutes then add garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the grated zucchini and cook for a few minutes. Then add it all to you baking dish.
- In a small bowl, beat together the egg and spices. Pour the mixture over the zucchini, add half of the cheddar and stir it all.
- Add the leftover cheddar and parmesan on top and bake the cheesy zucchini casserole for around 30 minutes.
Grate zucchini with cheese grater.
Add grated zucchini to cheese cloth, add salt and let sit 5 minutes.
Squeeze out as much liquid as possible from zucchini.
In warm skillet, add oil and shallot and cook for 2-3 minutes, then add garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
Add zucchini and cook for 1-2 minutes.
Beat together eggs and spices.
Add zucchini to baking pan, pour eggs and half cheddar and mix well. Top with more cheddar and parmesan and bake for 30 minutes.
Tips and Frequently Asked Questions
- I used sharp cheddar in this recipe but any kind of cheddar or even other cheeses would work! If you prefer shredded Italian mix for example, go for it!
- Don't skip the step to remove the extra liquid! You dish will become a little watery if you do. The grated zucchini will also have a better "bite" if you do it.
Other Recipes You'll Love
- Air Fryer Shrimp Tacos
- Mediterranean Cucumber Salad
- Hachis Parmentier (French Cottage Pie)
- Grilled Vegetable Medley
- Ground Chicken Stir Fry
Cheesy Zucchini Casserole
- 2 ½ - 3 cups zucchini grated. about 4 medium zucchini
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 medium shallot finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 eggs
- ½ teaspoon salt more or less to taste
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper more or less to taste
- ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg more or less to taste
- 1 cup sharp cheddar grated. *see notes
- 2 tablespoons parmesan freshly grated
- fresh chopped parsley for garnish
- Preheat oven at 355° Fahrenheit.
- Cut ends of zucchinis and grate them with a cheese grater. (half peeling zucchini is optional)
- Add zucchini to cheese cloth or paper towels, add pinch of salt to them let sit for 5 minutes.
- Then squeeze out as much liquid as you can from zucchini.
- Heat up oil in skillet over medium high heat, swirl pan to coat evenly, then add chopped shallots and cook stirring often for 2-3 minutes. Then add minced garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add zucchini to skillet, mix and cook on medium for 1-2 minutes, then add mixture to baking dish.
- In small bowl, beat eggs with paprika, salt, pepper, and nutmeg.
- Add the egg mixture and half cheddar cheese to zucchini and mix everything with spatula. Top with rest of cheddar and parmesan. Bake for 27-30 minutes until cheese is golden. Optional: broil for 1-2 minutes at the end. Carefully remove from oven, sprinkle with fresh parsley and serve with sides of choice. Enjoy!
- Cheese grater can be replace by a food processor with the grating option.
- Sharp cheddar works great for this recipe but you can use any kind of cheddar or any of your favorite kind of grated cheese like Italian mix, gouda, comté, gruyère.