This delicious cheesy zucchini casserole is such a great tasty side dish! Easy to make, great for meal prep and most importantly kid-friendly! Cheesy and nutritious, this recipe is a must-try!
Why This Recipe Works
- This recipe is not only delicious, it's kid-friendly and great for meal prep! You'll only need a few ingredients to make this cheesy zucchini casserole as we are not adding a ton of extra fluff. The zucchini and cheddar cheese are the stars and a perfect match for each other! It reheats beautifully and your kiddos will ask for more!
- Zucchini's season is at its prime during the summer months but they're available all year long. Have you ever tried to grow your own in a home garden? If so you know how many you get and sometimes it's hard to use them all up so here this recipe is for you!
How To Make Cheesy Zucchini Casserole
- You'll only need a handful of ingredients for this recipe. Zucchini, cheddar cheese, eggs, garlic, shallot, parmesan and spices.
- The zucchini for this recipe is grated with a cheese grater. You can also use a food processor with the grating attachment. The casserole has a "au gratin" feel. So cheesy and delicious but we're keeping the dish nutritious!
- Squeezing the extra liquid of the zucchinis out with a cheese cloth or simply a paper towel is a must step to make sure the dish doesn't end up a little watery.
Tips and FAQs
- I used sharp cheddar in this recipe but any kind of cheddar or even other cheeses would work! If you prefer shredded Italian mix for example, go for it!
- Don't skip the step to remove the extra liquid! You dish will become a little watery if you do. The grated zucchini will also have a better "bite" if you do it.
Other Recipes You'll Love
Cheesy Zucchini Casserole
This delicious cheesy zucchini casserole is easy to make, great for meal-prep and kid-friendly!
- 1 cheese cloth or paper towels
- 1 cheese grater *see notes
- 1 medium pan
- 1 oven
- 2 ½ - 3 cups zucchini grated. about 4 medium zucchini
- 1 cup sharp cheddar grated. *see notes
- 2 tablespoons parmesan freshly grated
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 medium shallot
- 2 eggs
- ½ teaspoon salt more or less to taste
- ½ teaspoon paprika more or less to taste
- ¼ teaspoon pepper more or less to taste
- ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg a pinch
- fresh chopped parsley for garnish
- Preheat oven at 355° Fahrenheit. Half peel the zucchinis and grate them with a cheese grater. Add a pinch of salt to them.
- Add them to cheese cloth or paper towels and squeeze extra liquid.
- In a hot medium pan, add oil, shallot and garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Add zucchini to the pan, mix and cook on medium for 1-2 minutes. Add the mixture to a baking dish.
- In a bowl, beat eggs with spices: salt, pepper, paprika and nutmeg.
- Add the egg mixture and half the cheddar cheese to zucchini and mix everything. Add the rest of the cheddar and parmesan on top. Bake for 28-30 minutes until cheese is golden. Optional: broil for 1 minute at the end.
- Cheese grater can be replace by a food processor with the grating option.
- Sharp cheddar works great for this recipe but you can use any kind of cheddar or even your favorite kind of grated cheese like Italian mix.
Serving: 4servings | Calories: 194kcal | Carbohydrates: 8g | Protein: 13g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 3g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 112mg | Sodium: 408mg | Potassium: 533mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 783IU | Vitamin C: 33mg | Calcium: 276mg | Iron: 1mg
Have you made this recipe?Leave a review below or tag @Sprinkledwithbalance on Instagram!Share on Facebook Share by Email
Leave a comment